dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improvements for Draw / Play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Improvements for Draw / Play Reply with quote

A suggestion for improving Draw / Play has been made here:

http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/forums/viewtopic.php?p=11033

storm_norm wrote:
Asellus, Keith, cgordon, nataraj... anyone who follows the coloring discussions,

wouldn't it be nice to have a "coloring function" on the Draw/play screen??

even if that isn't possible, maybe a function to only show a particular candidate, like all the 1's or 2's etc.

Sudoku Susser does this: Click on a number (1-9, external to the grid), and it highlights all the unsolved cells that have that number as a candidate.

What it does not do (which I would like) is to also show strong links as lines connecting the cells.

Does anyone else have suggestions along these lines?

By the way, I use this to analyze puzzles, and to make sure my posts are correct. I do not use it to solve puzzles.

I am basically with nataraj on this: If you use a computer, what's the point? Sort of like never playing a complete game of chess, but only solving "mate in 3 moves" problems.

But, these kinds of features are an excellent aid to learn new techniques.

Keith
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the latest discussion on skyscrapers, kites, turbot fish, etc, made me wonder if a function could be added to the draw/play page that would allow the user to "filter" the grid by number. many ways to do this either by removing all numbers except the candidate you want to view or by highlighting the particular candidate you want to view.

this would allow these "fishy" patterns to be seen more readily and therefore enhance the average users experience and knowledge with these patterns.

I also respect the opinion shared by many users that too many "helpful" tools in the draw/play page might actually be unbeneficial because they take away from what should be a fun, learning, thinking, (I have better things to do, but I am addicted) process. Cool

I totally agree with this point of view. Before I read a word in this discussion, I felt that any program that would eliminate candidates was cheating.

However, in this case, and in light of most of the discussions on fishy patterns, you can make a huge case why this function would sooth even the casual curiousity that the average user would have when they read about x-wings and skyscrapers.

IMHO, the best way to fully conceptualize what an x-wing ( any fish ) does is to block out the other candidates not involved.
Marty R.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wish list for Draw/Play is an "Undo" function, canceling the last step, as in MS Word. The other thing I'd like is the ability to import using character strings or actual grids.
storm_norm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty R. wrote:
My wish list for Draw/Play is an "Undo" function, canceling the last step, as in MS Word. The other thing I'd like is the ability to import using character strings or actual grids.

agree with all that !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: