dailysudoku.com Forum Index dailysudoku.com
Discussion of Daily Sudoku puzzles

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thanks, Keith

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Victor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Keith Reply with quote

Found this puzzle - M5281753 (118) - hard to solve by 'standard' techniques:
Code:

+-------+-------+-------+
| . 5 2 | 1 . . | 3 4 . |
| 9 . 3 | . . 5 | 1 . 2 |
| . . . | . . 6 | . . . |
| . 7 5 | . . 3 | . . 1 |
| . . . | . . . | . . . |
| 3 . . | 8 . . | 2 5 . |
| . . . | 3 . . | . . . |
| 1 . 7 | 6 . . | 5 . 4 |
| . 4 9 | . . 1 | 6 2 . |

Play this puzzle online

Well, in fact I got bogged down after a couple of moves. But then . . . the hint is in the title.
keith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor,

Am I being blamed for this? I do not see a way forward. (But, I have not looked very hard, yet.)

You amaze me at your willingness to attack these. I usually do not try any puzzle higher than 30.

Keith
Marty R.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I usually do not try any puzzle higher than 30.

Keith, I've been keeping track to see if I can find a correlation between rating and techniques required. I haven't found any. But since I've been keeping track, I've done a dozen ranging from 30–47; normal techniques sufficed on half of them, and I needed Medusa on the other six.

30 ER
30 All basic
30 Medusa, XY
30 ER (3), X, Medusa
32 UR, kite, remote pairs, Medusa
32 Medusa
33 UR, ER
33 Medusa
35 UR, W, coloring
39 UR, W
42 UR (2), Finned, X (2), BUG+1
47 ER, X, Medusa

P.S. I despise having to click about 25 times to find one puzzle that I want to do. Evil or Very Mad
ravel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 |-678   5      2     | 1     789     789  | 3     4   #68    |
 | 9    #68     3     | 47    478     5    | 1    -678  2     |
 |@478  @18    @148   | 2     3       6    |@89   @789  5     |
 |--------------------+--------------------+------------------|
 | 248   7      5     | 49    246     3    | 489   689  1     |
 | 2468  12689  1468  | 4579  124567  247  | 4789  3    6789  |
 | 3     169    146   | 8     1467    47   | 2     5    679   |
 |--------------------+--------------------+------------------|
 | 2568  268    68    | 3     4589    489  | 789   1    789   |
 | 1     3      7     | 6     289     289  | 5     89   4     |
 | 58    4      9     | 57    578     1    | 6     2    3     |
w-wing with grouped strong link for 8 in row 3 to boxes 1 and 3 forces 6 in one of r1c9 and r2c2.
Victor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith / Marty. I think I explained before that, having done VHs / Brainbashers SHs / etc. for some time, I wanted to expand my range & try some slightly harder puzzles. IF I'd found a site that produced puzzles that needed a few extra techniques like skyscrapers & ERs I'd have stuck with it: but I haven't found one, and I don't think anyone else has? I totally agree that Menneskes can be too difficult at quite a low quoted difficulty level, but they do have the advantage that I feel able to report an interesting problem because (a) they've been around a long time (c. 3 yrs) and (b) there's no attached forum. If you guys know of a good site I'd love to hear about it: yes, it is a bit tedious wading through a puzzle only to come up against a blank wall.

As regards this puzzle, I love Ravel's expo, but I did see it in a simple sort of way. Frivolous hint for Nataraj. Iron Monkey says 'Consider x = 64K ^ .25' . Drunken Monkey adds 'and add on x^0.' And Hidden Tiger finishes off "And times that by x^.5'

PS I'll post a quite straightforward M with a highish rating (which I know proves nothing useful).
nataraj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor wrote:
Frivolous hint for Nataraj. Iron Monkey says 'Consider x = 64K ^ .25' . Drunken Monkey adds 'and add on x^0.' And Hidden Tiger finishes off "And times that by x^.5'

OMG. I WAS going to post yesterday but refrained from it because I found the solution by Medusa and don't particularly like the Medusa way.
Indeed I started from one of the 68 cells (hinted at by Victor) on the top and reached a contradiction very fast:

if r2c2=8 then r1c1=6, r3c1=7 r2c8=7, but ALSO
because of the strong link in r2 for 6, r2c8=6

thus r2c2=6.

That is awfully close to forcing so I decided not to post.

But now that you mention it ...
nataraj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravel wrote:
w-wing with grouped strong link for 8 in row 3 to boxes 1 and 3 forces 6 in one of r1c9 and r2c2.

Very elegant. Love this solution Smile !
Victor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for silly joke, Nataraj. (My only excuse is that some of us Irish get imbued on St Patrick's day by impishness, which can take some time to dissipate).

Consider these small thought processes.
(a) Looking for M-wings etc., I noticed that the two 68s (marked # in Ravels' diagram) are indeed related - both 6s or both 8s, as explained by Keith once upon a time. Let me call the left-hand one (in box 1) A, the other B. So A = 8 => B=8. But of course you can instantly see that A = 8 => B <> 8 (because now the 8 in box 2 must be in r1). Ergo A = 8 is false. Etc. Now, in a sense that conclusion was reached fairly and squarely, apparently no more T & E than say finding an XY-wing.

(b) However, a moment's thought shows that this is actually just a forcing chain (as I understand the term): either number in A forces a 6 into B. So it's bad after all! (I don't like forcing chains in general, and never search for them.)

(c) So maybe I should set this out more stylishly as some sort of AIC? (No doubt not as nicely as Ravel has done it, but still adequately.) Bur wouldn't that be faintly dishonest? - less honourable even than a forcing chain.

OMG - it's almost philosophical.
nataraj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologize, Victor! I liked the joke and it wasn't silly at all.
It is probably no coincidence that Leprechauns live in Ireland and not so much here on the continent. We got other spirits here, some no less mischievous than yours, I guess.

And I am glad, indeed, you did give me that push I needed to post my solution path and the qualms I have with it, too.

I used to resort to forcing a lot before I lerned techniques like x-wing, xy-wing, UR, you name it. Basically, whenever I was stuck, I'd start with a (random) bi-value cell, take one of the two possibilities and see where it leads. If it leads to a contradiction, good. I solved one cell fair and square. But the whole process is deeply unsatisfying.

I am very happy I found sites like this one here on the internet where people introduced me to advanced methods that allow me to solve a whole new range of puzzles without falling back on that search strategy.

That is the beauty with ravel's solution, here. It shows some "inner structure", a relationship between two cells that can be exploited to solve another cell (or at least reduce the number of possibilities for that other cell). This inner structure is not something unique to the puzzle in question but can be generalized. And by this process of generalization becomes a useful tool in the bag for solving other puzzles as well.

I am not sure whether the difference is only psychological or if there is something else: on one hand, we have a solving strategy that looks at results and tries to establish a proof for the result (like this or any xy, xyz, w-wing: two pincers, could remove a candidate, lets see if we can connect the pincers) and another strategy that looks at possible starting points and tries to find possible useful consequences.

As a metaphor, take searching for oil (which I know nothing about!): start at random places, think "this looks like a great spot" and drill. Or: look at geological data, satellite images, seismic record, develop a theory and test it by drilling.

I just feel more comfortable with the latter way.

___

P.S. Some of the DP-based solutions in the "other" category present the same dilemma. No problem with the well established patterns of type 1, type 2, etc. They give you immediate solutions or virtual cells or other eliminations right away. Big problem with the ad-hoc resoning. Why is it better to start with a bifurcation ("either xx=6 or yy=8") resulting from a DP than to start with ANY bi-value cell in the grid ("either xx=6 or xx=8")?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    dailysudoku.com Forum Index -> Other puzzles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: